English lesson - Verbs: use, help, learn, try, suit/fit, etc, and the absence of preposition


____ learn ____

(learned / learnt, learned / learnt, learnt)

She'll have to learn that she can't have everything she wants.
He's not afraid to learn from his mistakes.

We were all shocked to learn of his death.
[ + (that) ] I later learned (that) the message had never arrived.
I only learned about the accident later.
They learn Russian at school.
"Can you drive?" "I'm learning."
I've learned a lot about computers since I started work here.
[ + to infinitive ] I'm learning to play the piano.
[ + question word + to infinitive ] First you'll learn (how) to use this machine.
We were told to learn Portia's speech by heart (= be able to say it from memory) for homework.



___ discuss ___

Ce verbe ne peut pas être employé pour signifier une conversation. Il n'induit que la discussion d'une matière, un débat sur un sujet. C'est un verbe transitif, suivi directement du COD sans préposition. 

To discuss + object. 

We discussed the issue to find a solution.
The leader convened an assembly to discuss new laws.



___ dare (oser, s'aventurer) ___

Don't you dare change your mind.  => no preposition between verbs.



___ difference between suit and fit ___

- to suit : convenir, aller bien à qqun.
Pour le vêtement, l'apparence est concernée, non la taille.
A weekly Monday meeting suits me just fine.
The blue shirt suited me more than the white one.

- to fit : correspondre, être de la taille adéquate, ajuster, tenir (le contenu)
I dumped my old clothes because they no longer fit me.
The applicant fits the required profile.
The phone fits perfectly into the case. (tenir)
I used scissors to fit the picture to the frame. (adjuster)


____ help ____

Please help tidy the house. 



____ use ____

I used to live in Wales. (Je vivais au Pays de Galles)

He used a computer to do his work.  (Il a utilisé un ordinateur pour faire son travail)

She's not used to that.  (Elle n'y est pas habituée)

This thingy is not of any use.  (Ce truc n'a aucune utilité)

My car is of great use to me every day.  (Ma voiture m'est d'une grande utilité chaque jour)

The spray must be shaken before use.  (L'aérosol doit être secoué avant emploi)




Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Structure de la Terre et tectonique des plaques

Informatique - Raccourcis de clavier

Comprendre la table périodique des éléments